How To Apply
Apply to participate in SDC2020 here.
Your submission will include two elements, a video and your portfolio.
In your video submission, you should:
- tell us what attracted you to interaction design
- show your strongest design skills and give us a sense of how you collaborate with others
- articulate your point of view about how voice-powered experiences can improve people’s lives.
You should not submit:
- finished ideas
- submissions from teams of people
- videos longer than 2 minutes
Prepare your Portfolio
We ask for examples of creative craft and the ability to make an impact in the world through interaction design. We are looking for personality and perspective and what you are passionate about! Team projects are welcome, but we ask applicants to let us know their role on the team.
A PDF or web link should show projects demonstrating:
- Challenge/Opportunity space explored
- Role(s) played in team projects
- Examples of Creative Processes
- Final Outcomes
Becoming a finalist
Our panel of judges will review each entry and select the most promising submissions. Finalists will receive a scholarship to attend Interaction 20 in Milan, including:
- Travel & Accommodation (shared) in Milan from 4-7 Feb
- Complimentary student registration at the conference
- Mentorship and support during prototyping and iteration at the conference
- A chance to meet and showcase your work in front of the best interaction designers in the world
What to expect
Once in Milan, each finalist will be assigned a team. As a team, you will then agree on a more refined brief to work on over a 72-hour period. IxDA and Amazon Design team members will be available to provide guidance and support as you work through the challenge.
Each team will present their proposals to the greater audience of IxDA conference attendees. The winning entry will be selected as part of the IxDA awards ceremony at the end of the conference.
Read the brief Link to the Brief Are you ready to apply? Yes, I am.
What happened in the past editions?
Interaction 20 SDC Timeline
- 18 November - Submissions open
16 DecemberExtended to 20 December - Submission deadline
- 23 December - Finalists announced
- 4-7 February - Finalists attend Interaction 20 In Milan
- 7 February - Winner announced at IxDA Awards Ceremony
Sign up for updates on the Student Design Charette.